NOTE: Random results surfaced when one tries to transfer their username starting Nov,2010 – works for some and not. Unable to identify why and how. Be forewarned there may be risks involved.
Often times we created a username for our personal profile, then later figured we should reserve that for our fan page! Even though it is not advisable to use company name for a personal profile, but some company accounts have long started and now since there’s no way to transfer fans or content, at least one can migrate a better username for page promoting, sounds fair right?
When it comes to Username:
- Facebook profile can only have one-time edit
- Facebook fan page has given NO edit once been set
Quite strict, but in fact Facebook has given us opportunity to make this happen without having to break this rule. Let’s say you have already set a vanity url for your personal account: facebook.com/companyname. To transfer your existing username over to the fan page, here’s what you should do:
Change your existing profile username to another:
- Go to Account > Account Settings
- Look for Username > Change
3. Type in your new username for profile account > Check availability. Confirm your username if it is available (this edit will be permanent once finalized).
Friendly reminder: username can only contain alphanumeric characters or a period (“.”). Generic words are not usable as a username (example: pizza).
4. Now the previous username ‘companyname’ is available. Grab it quickly from this link: http://facebook.com/username
5. Click ‘Set a username for your Pages’ will reveal a drop down box for you to select your page.
6. Make your pick and type in your desired username. Check availability and confirm it.
You are all set with a facebook page that equips a business name as your vanity url. As how page category works, page username can never be changed after this. You will have to delete the fan page and start all over. But as much you can fix it with the same page name, its old username can never be retrieved.
NOTE: Random results surfaced when one tries to transfer their username starting Nov,2010 – works for some and not. Unable to identify why and how. Be forewarned there may be risks involved. Will update.
Tags: delete fan page, facebook fan page, facebook page, faebook, how to transfer profile username, set a username for your pages, vanity url
Posted under: Facebook 101, facebook fan page, Facebook Tips